Campaign Organizer (or Senior Campaign Organizer)*
*Hybrid position, open to candidates within all of California, can be based in our Sacramento, Los Angeles, or Oakland offices.
Health Access seeks an experienced community, coalition, and/or political organizer to lead Health Access campaign related activities. Under the supervision of the Organizing Director, the Campaign Organizer (or Senior Campaign Organizer) will be responsible for organizing coalition meetings, delegation visits with policymakers, press conferences, town halls, and other events, as well as recruiting individual and organizational support for Health Access’s legislative, budgetary, and administrative advocacy goals.
Strong communication and motivational skills, work ethic, and passion for health care policy are essential. Candidates must be able to work within a team, have proven leadership ability and experience handling a lot of responsibility. Strong self-direction and the ability to take initiative are also necessary qualifications. The hybrid position is open to candidates within all of California, and can be based in our Sacramento, Los Angeles or Oakland offices. Regular travel between and around the region will be required.
- Development, implementation and monitoring of strategies and tactics to carry out advocacy campaigns, at the state, county, and federal levels.
- Building and maintaining a large coalition partner network to support a broader regional and statewide advocacy agenda.
- Coordinate regional health coalitions, including maintaining relationships with key members and informing them of developments in Sacramento and Washington, DC.
- Organize digital and in-person press conferences, actions, and events to support statewide issue campaigns.
- Serve as a regional spokesperson for the organization, including giving presentations to groups, testimony at public hearings, and speaking at press conferences.
- Build strategic partnerships and alliances among diverse groups and constituencies in the region.
- Formulate and execute strategy and tactics in political issue campaigns.
- Recruit new members and affiliates to the coalition.
- Identify and work with uninsured families, immigrants, seniors, and patients; provide training and support for consumers to be able to share their health care stories for policy testimony or media inquiries.
- Maintain and add content to a health care consumer story bank.
- Develop grassroots leaders to be active on health care issues.
- Promote effective communication throughout the region by increasing regional presence in online social networks, sending email blasts, and responding to email and phone inquiries.
- Keep consistent records about meetings, events, contacts, and work schedule, and support reporting of organizing deliverables.
- Assist in research, fundraising, and other organizational operations.
- A minimum of two years of relevant community or political organizing/advocacy experience, five or more years for Senior Campaign Organizer position.
- General familiarity with health policy issues, California state politics, and nonprofit advocacy.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including speaking and writing. Able to translate complex policy into clear and actionable language in person and on paper.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, digital organizing tools, CRM familiarity a plus).
- Ability to collaborate and participate in complex decision-making processes and work well as part of a team.
- Ability to foster relationships with elected officials and key stakeholders.
- An independent thinker and analytical problem-solver, who is self-motivated.
- Passion for the organization’s goals of quality, affordable, and equitable health care for all Californians.
- Have strong organizational skills, and ability to stay focused with attention to detail.
- Ability to meet multiple, shifting deadlines and priorities with nimbleness and flexibility while maintaining a perspective on long-term goals.
- Experience with social media, online organizing strategies, and content development a plus.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and county policies regarding health care a plus.
- Bi-lingual skills a plus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a full-time position that may require work outside of the typical 9-5 workday (i.e., weekend and evening events). Work may be completed remotely, and/or from Health Access offices.
Compensation & Benefits
The anticipated salary range is $65,000 – $78,000. However, depending on qualifications, a successful candidate can be hired above or below this range.
- Health, vision, and dental insurance with premiums 100% paid by Health Access
- Wi-Fi, phone, and parking reimbursement
- 401(k) retirement plan with 7% employer match
- 10 paid vacation days within the first year, 3 personal days, 12 sick days of sick time and 13 paid holidays a year
About Health Access
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the state-wide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For over 30 years, Health Access has been a leader in the state’s health care reform movement, most recently as the lead coalition working to pass, implement, improve and defend the Affordable Care Act in California. Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, the Hospital Fair Pricing Act, coverage expansions including opening Medi-Cal to all income-eligible children, young adults and seniors regardless of immigration status, and best-in-nation consumer protections on timely access to care, surprise medical bills, and prescription drug prices.
Health Access offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including health, life and disability insurance, 401k savings plan, and a fast-paced but casual work environment.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters.
How to Apply
Please email email@example.com and include:
Email to Apply
- “Campaign Organizer position” or “Senior Campaign Organizer” in subject line of email
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references