For Immediate Release: Friday October 12, 2018
Anthony Wright, executive director, Health Access California, 916-870-4782 (cell)
Rachel Linn Gish, communications director, Health Access California, 916-532-2128 (cell)
As Covered California Open Enrollment Starts Monday, October 15…
PRESS CALL TODAY: Consumer Advocates & Experts Provide New & Updated Data on Impacts of Federal Actions to Undermine our Health Care
- Health experts urge Californians to enroll in Covered California starting Monday—many health plan options are available, despite federal actions to raise premiums and undermine coverage & consumer protections.
- State and federal health care experts will discuss what consumers can expect during open enrollment season and the ongoing threats to access to care in Medi-Cal and Covered California (including the Texas lawsuit, immigration regulations, and additional Congressional repeals).
- Call will highlight the steps Californians can take federally and has taken at the state level to minimize the negative impacts to our state.
- Press briefing call TODAY OCTOBER 12TH at 11am PST/2pm EST dial: 1-866-939-3921 code: 47717310
As Covered California starts 2019 open enrollment this coming Monday, key state and federal experts and advocates will provide new and updated information about the state of California’s health care market in light of federal actions to undermine our care, coverage, and consumer protections.
Health advocates and policy experts from Health Access California, California Budget & Policy Center, California Pan-Ethnic Health Network, and Families USA will discuss ongoing federal threats that may impact health care access in Covered California and Medi-Cal, including litigation (Texas v. Azar), legislation (pending ACA repeal proposals), and regulations on immigration and other issues (including public charge). The call will also highlight the state actions to mitigate federal impacts and preserve options and affordability in California.
The briefing will provide information on:
- Covered California and the Individual Market
- The release of new data that details the premium increases for Covered California enrollees by Congressional District due in part to the 2017 Tax Reform Bill vote that repealed part of the ACA.
- A new fact sheet what’s at stake for Californians with pre-existing conditions under pending federal health care proposals.
- Impacts for communities of color and others of these changes.
- If Congressional attacks to our care continue, what impacts would cuts to Medi-Cal have on our state budget.
- What changes to the way immigrants can access Medi-Cal services means for the health and well-being of Californians.
When: TODAY Friday, October 12th, at 11:00am PST/2:00pm EST
What: Press briefing call ahead of open enrollment with new data on the California impacts of the ongoing attacks on our health system, and detailing the California actions to protect patients.
Anthony Wright, Executive Director, Health Access California
Scott Graves, Director of Research, California Budget & Policy Center
Kimberly Chen, State Policy Director, California Pan Ethnic Health Network
Claire McAndrew, Director of Campaigns & Partnerships, FamiliesUSA
CALL #: 1-866-939-3921; CODE: 47717310
***Members of the media only***