US Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced this morning that the HHS would adopt recommendations made from the Institutes of Medicine to help close the gaps in coverage for US women and move toward ending health disparities experienced by women. The IOM released a study last week outlining the services necessary to women’s well-being.
- well-woman visits;
- screening for gestational diabetes;
- human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA testing for women 30 years and older;
- sexually-transmitted infection counseling;
- human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) screening and counseling;
- FDA-approved contraception methods and contraceptive counseling;
- breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling; and
- domestic violence screening and counseling.