CONSUMER ADVOCATE/COMMUNITY ORGANIZER – Bay Area, Central Valley, or Southern California
Health Access seeks an experienced community, coalition, and/or political organizer to lead our Bay Area, Central Valley, or Southern California advocacy activities, from organizing coalition meetings, delegation visits with policymakers, press conferences, town halls and other events to recruiting individual and organizational support for our goals. This position would represent the organization with partners, policymakers, press and the public to advance our agenda to expand care and coverage for all Californians, implement and improve health reform, protect health care consumers from unfair practices or inflated costs by insurers or providers, win investments in our health care safety-net and public health, and encourage a healthier California.
Strong communication and motivational skills, a work ethic, and passion for health care policy and politics are essential. Candidates must be able to work within a team, have proven leadership ability and experience handling a lot of responsibility. Strong self-direction and the ability to take initiative are also necessary qualifications. Two openings will be based in Oakland, the Central Valley, or Southern California, and will be directly supervised by our Organizing Director. Travel is required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement and monitor strategies to carry out advocacy campaigns, build a large coalition partner network to support a broader regional and statewide advocacy agenda.
- Coordinate regional health coalitions, including maintain relationships with key members and inform them of developments in Sacramento and Washington, DC.
- Organize press conferences, actions, and events to support statewide issue campaigns.
- Serve as a regional spokesperson for the organization, including giving presentations to groups, and testimony at public hearings.
- Be current with federal, state, and county policies regarding health care.
- Foster relationships with elected officials and key stakeholders.
- Build strategic partnerships & alliances among diverse groups & constituencies in the region and state.
- Formulate and execute strategy and tactics in political issue campaigns.
- Recruit new members and affiliates to the coalition.
- Identify and work with uninsured families, immigrants, seniors, and patients.
- Maintain and add individuals with health experiences to a health care consumer story bank.
- Develop grassroots leaders to be active on health care issues.
- Promote effective communication throughout the region by increasing regional presence in online social networks, sending email blasts, and responding to email and phone inquiries.
- Keep consistent records about meetings, events, contacts, and work schedule.
- Assist in research, fundraising, and other organizational operations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- General familiarity with health policy issues, California state politics, and nonprofit advocacy required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant community or political organizing/advocacy experience required.
- Experience with social media, online organizing and content development a plus.
- Excellent speaking and writing, and analytical skills. Able to translate complex policy into clear and actionable language in person and on paper.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office environment).
Language and Communication Skills:
- Read and comprehend general instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to collaborate and participate in complex decision making processes.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations.
- Analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- An independent thinker and problem-solver, who is also self-motivated and a team player.
- Support the organization’s goal of quality, affordable health care for all Californians.
- Have strong organizational skills, and ability to stay focused with attention to detail.
- Ability to meet multiple, shifting deadlines and priorities with nimbleness and flexibility while maintaining a perspective on long-term goals.
- Bi-lingual skills a plus
This position may be the only Health Access staff member in the office and may be alone in the office at times. However, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a full-time position that may require work outside of the typical 9-5 workday (i.e. weekend and evening events).
About Health Access:
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the state-wide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For over 30 years, Health Access has been a leader in the state’s health care reform movement, most recently as the lead coalition working to pass, implement, improve and defend the Affordable Care Act in California. Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, the Hospital Fair Pricing Act, coverage expansions including opening Medi-Cal to all income-eligible children regardless of immigration status, and best-in-nation consumer protections on timely access to care, surprise medical bills, and prescription drug prices.
Health Access offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including health, life and disability insurance, 401k savings plan, and a fast-paced but casual work environment.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters.
Interested candidates should email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com . Please reference Community Organizer position in the subject line.
No internship opportunities are available at this time. Please contact Jose Torres with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org