Communications Associate – Sacramento or Los Angeles
Health Access seeks a Communications Associate, with experience in digital media and press communications. Knowledge of community organizing and state and/or federal legislative advocacy a plus. The position will assist in developing and coordinating Health Access’ statewide communications strategies and coalition communications with a focus on digital media technologies. This includes planning, coalition building, working with policy staff and supporting organizers in efforts to build Health Access’ advocacy and organizational capacity via web, social media, and email based programs to advance a dynamic Health Access policy agenda. Excellent communication and motivational skills, work ethic, and passion for health care policy are essential.
The position can be based in Health Access’ office location in Sacramento or as a remote worker in Los Angeles, and will be directly supervised by our Communications Director based in Sacramento. There will be some travel throughout the state to the various regional offices and events.
- Updating and improving organizational website and other supporting websites
- Maintaining and growing our social media presence
- Drafting content for e-newsletters and blog
- Coordinating communications campaigns
- Press tracking and list building
- Refer, assist, and publicize individuals with specific stories of experience with our health system
- Work with Communications Director to:
- Edit press and media advisories and conduct outreach to media;
- Identify and assist in the preparation and development of materials for community education and earned media;
- Draft and edit campaign materials, ex. fact sheets, op-ed, letter to the editor, etc;
- Build effective relationships with the organizing and communications staff of coalition partners to create an expanded capacity for grassroots education, outreach, and advocacy;
- Provide research, writing and analyst support on various topics for papers, publications and reports;
- Assist with internal communications
- Bachelor degree or equivalent relevant work experience;
- At least 1-3 years of experience in digital and/or non-profit communications such as website content management, email/CRM programs, and/or social media optimization;
- An independent thinker, self-motivated, problem solver, and team player, with a commitment to excellence;
- Have strong organizational skills, and ability to stay focused with attention to detail;
- Experience with graphic design a plus;
- Familiarity with health care issues in California, state politics, and non-profit advocacy a plus
Language and Communication Skills
- Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills and experience;
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills;
- Ability to understand and communicate complicated legislative policy to a lay audience;
- Must be able to meet short deadlines, be responsive, and demonstrate excellent communication skills;
- Read and comprehend general instructions, correspondence, and memos;
- Write professional correspondence;
- Spanish language fluency a strong plus but not required
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested candidates email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to email@example.com and reference Communications Associate position in the subject line.
Consumer Advocate/Community Organizer – Southern California
Health Access seeks an experienced community, coalition, and/or political organizer to lead our Southern California advocacy activities, from organizing coalition meetings, delegation visits with policymakers, press conferences, town halls and other events to recruiting individual and organizational support for our goals. This position would represent the organization with partners, policymakers, press and the public to advance our agenda to expand care and coverage for all Californians, implement and improve health reform, protect health care consumers from unfair practices or inflated costs by insurers or providers, win investments in our health care safety-net and public health, and encourage a healthier California.
Strong communication and motivational skills, a work ethic, and passion for health care policy and politics are essential. Candidates must be able to work within a team, have proven leadership ability and experience handling a lot of responsibility. Strong self-direction and the ability to take initiative are also necessary qualifications. The opening will be based in Southern California, and will be directly supervised by our Organizing Director. Travel is required.
- Develop, implement and monitor strategies to carry out advocacy campaigns, build a large coalition partner network to support a broader regional and statewide advocacy agenda.
- Coordinate regional health coalitions, including maintain relationships with key members and inform them of developments in Sacramento and Washington, DC.
- Organize press conferences, actions, and events to support statewide issue campaigns.
- Serve as a regional spokesperson for the organization, including giving presentations to groups, and testimony at public hearings.
- Be current with federal, state, and county policies regarding health care.
- Foster relationships with elected officials and key stakeholders.
- Build strategic partnerships & alliances among diverse groups & constituencies in the region and state.
- Formulate and execute strategy and tactics in political issue campaigns.
- Recruit new members and affiliates to the coalition.
- Identify and work with uninsured families, immigrants, seniors, and patients.
- Maintain and add individuals with health experiences to a health care consumer story bank.
- Develop grassroots leaders to be active on health care issues.
- Promote effective communication throughout the region by increasing regional presence in online social networks, sending email blasts, and responding to email and phone inquiries.
- Keep consistent records about meetings, events, contacts, and work schedule.
- Assist in research, fundraising, and other organizational operations.
- General familiarity with health policy issues, California state politics, and nonprofit advocacy required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant community or political organizing/advocacy experience required.
- Experience with social media, online organizing and content development a plus.
- Excellent speaking and writing, and analytical skills. Able to translate complex policy into clear and actionable language in person and on paper.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office environment).
Language and Communication Skills
- Read and comprehend general instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to collaborate and participate in complex decision making processes.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations.
- Analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
Other Skills and Abilities
- An independent thinker and problem-solver, who is also self-motivated and a team player.
- Support the organization’s goal of quality, affordable health care for all Californians.
- Have strong organizational skills, and ability to stay focused with attention to detail.
- Ability to meet multiple, shifting deadlines and priorities with nimbleness and flexibility while maintaining a perspective on long-term goals.
- Bi-lingual skills a plus
This position may be the only Health Access staff member in the office and may be alone in the office at times. However, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a full-time position that may require work outside of the typical 9-5 workday (i.e. weekend and evening events).
Interested candidates should email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Community Organizer position in the subject line.
Policy and Legislative Advocate – Sacramento
Under the supervision of the Policy and Legislative Advocacy Director, the Policy and Legislative Advocate is responsible for supporting Health Access’ legislative, budgetary, and administrative advocacy efforts on behalf of California’s health care consumers.
Legislative Advocacy and Policy
- Coordinate and collaborate with the team at Health Access to plan and implement initiatives to win policy victories for consumers, involving a combination of legislative, budget, policy, communication, public education, and organizing strategies;.
- Analyze and advocate on health care legislation and/or budget proposals assigned, including both supporting and opposing measures. Work with Policy and Advocacy Director to develop strategy and policy positions on legislation and budget proposals.
- Work to develop and lead assigned proposals in consultation with Health Access’ leadership team, board of directors, coalition stakeholders, experts and researchers, and policymakers to win policy improvements for consumers. Advance these proposals through multiple policy-making arenas, including legislation, budget process, and/or administrative/regulatory agencies.
- Lobby on behalf of California consumers in the Legislature and with the administration, for and against relevant legislation: review, track and analyze and make recommendations to develop positions on a broad range of health care issues. This includes drafting letters, testimony and supporting materials as well as working with the Policy and Advocacy Director and contract lobbyist to craft legislation and amendments.
- Engage in administrative advocacy on health care issues, if needed, at a number of agencies including Covered California, the Department of Managed Health Care, the Department of Insurance, the Attorney General and the Department of Justice, the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, and the Department of Health Care Services as well as others.
- Build trusted relationships with lawmakers and their staff, agency decision-makers, the Governor’s office, lobbyists, and other stakeholders.
- Represent Health Access and California consumers in meetings of ad hoc legislative coalitions and before various community and stakeholder groups.
- Write and develop fact sheets, reports, and other materials on Health Access’ policy agenda.
- Assist with media and communications efforts to raise awareness of key policy issues with the public.
- Work with the leadership team on membership development, fundraising, organizing, and communications as it relates to assigned projects.
- Assist with providing support for grant writing and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 3 years of experience leading and coordinating statewide policy advocacy campaigns.
- BA required, JD or MA in public policy-related discipline preferred.
- Demonstrated work experience in legislative, budget or other relevant campaign or policy-related work,
- Demonstration of political judgment and ability to assess the political environment on issues within the Health Access Policy Agenda.
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and oral advocacy skills, as well as the ability to articulate complex policy issues and to communicate them clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to demonstrate high level of emotional intelligence, professionalism, and maturity in a high-stress, fast-paced environment.
- Passion for health care policy and the consumer advocacy work and mission of Health Access
- Ability to develop allies and work collaboratively in coalitions; ability to navigate internal political dynamics among partner groups.
- Ability to work independently when necessary and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
Interested candidates should email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please reference Policy and Legislative Advocate position in the subject line.
No internship opportunities are available at this time. Please contact Jose Torres with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Health Access
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the statewide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters.