HEALTH ACCESS UPDATE
Thursday, January 8th, 2004
BUDGET CUTS TO BE ANNOUNCED TOMORROW
Protest and Press Activities Planned Throughout State for January; Calendar Attached
NEW BUDGET: As health advocates brace themselves for the announcement of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 2004-05 budget and proposed cuts, activities are already scheduled to respond. Based on the mid-year reduction package, we already know the Governor proposes cuts to Medi-Cal provider rates, and caps on enrollment to Healthy Familes and other health and human service programs. We expect other cuts as well.
SAME MESSAGE: Health advocates are planning to respond once again by:
* demonstrating the negative impact of the cuts: to health and financial well-being of specific patients, to the economy, and to the health system on which we all rely.
* indicating that the cuts can be prevented, by supporting a balanced approach to the budget that includes not just cuts but also increased revenues, such as raising the upper tax brackets.
* also supporting reforming the budget process (as in Proposition 56, the Budget Accountability Act), so we are not in this fix again.
NEW CALENDAR OF EVENTS: To respond, advocates have scheduled press actions and other efforts for virtually every work day in January, making sure that we continue to “bang the drum” about the negative impact of the proposed cuts. BELOW and ATTACHED is a calendar of numerous activities and public events to respond to these cuts, by numerous organizations and coalitions.
The descriptions feature the contact people to reach to get involved in an event of interest in your area. If you have an event to add, or have additional information or changes to a listed event, please contact Health Access. We plan to put out this calendar on a regular basis, as was done last year. We hope it helps those interested join into these efforts, and help their planning of events and activities of their own, to increase coordination and prevent scheduling conflicts.
Last Updated 01/08/04
Tue. Jan. 6th:
· Governor Schwarzenegger’s State of the State Address. Sacramento
· People with Disabilities Community Protest. State Capitol. Sacramento
Fri. Jan 9th:
· Governor Schwarzenegger Unveils January Budget Proposal. Sacramento.
Mon. Jan 12th:
· Budget Briefing on Health Cuts by Health Advocacy Organizations. 9:30am. Room 126 of State Capitol. Sacramento. For more info, contact email@example.com. (Health Access, California Immigrant Welfare Collaborative, Western Center on Law and Poverty, 100% Campaign, MALDEF, many others)
· CalWorks Protest: “Don’t Take the Shirts Off Our Back,” 10:00am, North Steps of the Capitol. Sacramento. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (Lifetime/California Partnership)
Tue. Jan 13th:
· Rally Against ADAP Cut, San Francisco. (SF AIDS Foundation)
Wed. Jan 14th:
· Prop 56 Press Event. State Bldg. 300 Spring Street; LA, CA. For more info, contact Ericka Smith at 213-368-8609. (Californians for Budget Accountability)
Thu. Jan 15th:
· I Have A Dream Day of Action (Save the Safety Net Coalition)
o Sacramento, Coalition Press Conference, 10:00am. For more info, contact Jessica Bartholow, email@example.com. (Alameda County Food Bank)
o San Francisco, Press Conference – Cuts Affecting Immigrants, 10:00am, For more info, contact Rebecca or Isabel at firstname.lastname@example.org (CA Immigrant Welfare Collaborative)
o Los Angeles, Rally & Press Conference – Cuts Affecting Immigrants, 11:30am. For more info, contact email@example.com. (CA Immigrant Welfare Collaborative)
· Community Clinic Legislative Breakfast (California Primary Care Association)
Fri. Jan 16th:
· HIV Call-In Day (Being Alive LA)
Tue. Jan 20th:
· Immigrant Call-In Day (California Immigrant Welfare Collaborative)
Wed Jan 21st:
· Senior Call-In Day
· Los Angeles Press Conference on Cuts to Seniors. 11:00am. State Bldg. 300 Spring Street. 11:00am. For more info, contact Starlight Garcia, 213-748-5287 ext. 230. (Health Access)
· San Francisco Press Conference on Cuts to Seniors. For more info, contact Bruce Livingston, 415-546-1334 (Senior Action Network)
· Sacramento Press Action: Arnold Future Film Festival. Sacramento. For more info, contact Jessica Bartholow, firstname.lastname@example.org. (Hunger Action Coalition)
Wed. Jan 21st-Sat. Jan 24th
· Families USA Conference, Washington, DC For more info, go to www.familiesusa.org. (Families USA)
Thu. Jan 22nd:
· People with Disabilities Call-in Day (California Federation of Independent Living Centers)
Fri. Jan. 23rd:
· LA Press Event on ADAP Cuts for HIV Community. (Being Alive LA)
Tue. Jan 27th:
· CalWorks and Food Stamps Call-In Day (California Partnership/Los Angeles Coalition to End Hunger and Homelessness)
Wed. Jan 28th:
· Children Call-In Day (Children’s Defense Fund)
Fri. Jan 30th:
· Training and Update on Governor’s Budget Proposal. Speakers will include Assemblywoman Judy Chu and State Senator Sheila Kuehl, as well as Jean Ross, CBP and Anthony Wright, Health Access. For more info, contact Gwen Gary at email@example.com, 310-453-3611. (Liberty Hill Foundation, UCLA Labor Center, SEIU 660, Health Access, Health Policy Outreach Center of Pat Brown Institute)
Mon. Feb 2nd:
· Advocacy Organization Meeting on SB921 with Senator Sheila Kuehl, Westminster Church, Sacramento. (Health Care for All Californians Campaign)
Wed. Feb 18th:
· Insure the Uninsured Project Conference, Sacramento (ITUP)
Thurs. March 18th:
· “Protecting Priorities in Uncertain Times.” A one day conference of workshop and speakers around the state budget crisis. Sacramento Convention Center, Sacramento. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the website www.cbp.org. (California Budget Project)
To add events and updates, contact Health Access:
In Sacramento: Anthony Wright, Executive Director, at 916-442-2308, or email@example.com, or 1127 11th Street, Suite 234, Sacramento, CA 95814.
In Northern California: Jessica Rothhaar, Regional Organizer, at 510-873-8787, ext. 107, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or 414 13th Street, Suite 450, Oakland, CA 94612.
In Southern California: Idabelle Fosse, Regional Organizer, at 213-748-5287 ext. 229, or email@example.com, or 3655 South Grand Ave., Suite 220, Los Angeles, CA 90007.
Anthony E. Wright
1127 11th St., #234, Sacramento, CA 95814
Ph: 916-442-2308, Fx: 916-497-0921