Did you know starting May 1, 2022 more Californians qualify for Medi-Cal? Now, all income-eligible Californians ages 50 and over, regardless of immigration status will be able to enroll in comprehensive coverage through Medi-Cal!
There is still a lot of work left to do to achieve Health4All, but this is a major step towards universal health care coverage in California. Our state is stronger when everyone is covered and healthy. Our health care system is better and more equitable when we promote the well-being of all California families and communities.
Are you 50 years or older, undocumented, and need to apply for Medi-Cal? If you meet eligibility requirements you can apply starting May 1.
Apply online at https://www.coveredca.com/
- Call your local county social services office
- Apply at your local county social services office and get assistance completing your application!
If you need additional help or have any questions, find your nearest Certified Enrollment Counselor (CEC) here or call 1-800-300-1506.
If you already have restricted-scope Medi-Cal, those ages 50 and older will automatically get full-scope Medi-Cal on May 1, 2022.
It’s important to know that enrolling in care will not affect your immigration status.
Access to health care coverage is essential and undocumented immigrant adults remain the largest uninsured group in California. We must continue leading the way to universal health coverage.
- Health4All Older Adults FAQs from advocates: English & Spanish.
- Western Center on Law & Poverty and National Immigration Law Program: Health Care Practice Tip – Medi-Cal’s Health4All Older Adults Expansion
- Latino Coalition for a Healthy California toolkit
- Medi-Cal Expansion: Health4All Older Adults (advocate webinar recording)