A Santa Monica man sued Anthem Blue Cross and won in small claims court, for overcharging his premiums for safety-net health coverage, according to Lisa Girion of the Los Angeles Times.
“This is one for the people,” said plaintiff Herbert “Les” Greenberg. The judge “could not understand what Blue Cross did not understand about the law, which is clear on its face.”
The award might be small change for Anthem, whose corporate parent, WellPoint Inc., netted $2.5 billion last year.
According to a Times analysis published Feb. 18, Anthem sold thousands of policies that were intended to be safety nets for the sick, jobless and uninsurable at premiums that exceeded state-issued rates. At the time, Anthem said it had erred and pledged to make amends. And Anthem did mail out refund checks. But Greenberg, an investment lawyer, said the $12 check he got fell far short of what he believed he was owed.
For more about Anthem Blue Cross’ bad behavior, visit www.SickOfBlueCross.com.
It’s not easy to get Blue Cross to answer for their policy or their practices. Here’s a good video (done by an iPhone) of the San Francisco protest earlier this week, which also got featured with a photo in the New York Times. It features video of Patrick Romano and audio of Linda Leu, both of Health Access California and the national Health Care for America Now campaign.