HEALTH ACCESS ALERT
Thursday, December 18th, 2003
AWAITING BUDGET DETAILS: Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has made major statements in the last day about the budget. In good news, he is withdrawing his proposed repeal of the Lanterman Act and other cuts to people with disabilities. In bad news, he is declaring a fiscal emergency and unilaterally making some of the proposed cuts, without legislative approval. This list of immediate cuts will be released today. As we get more specifics on these actions, we will send out another update.
HOLIDAY PICKETS TO PROTEST MACY’S $200K CONTRIBUTION TO REPEAL SB 2, REMOVE HEALTH PROTECTIONS
* Macy’s “Scrooged” California Workers
* Monday Lunchtime Pickets in San Francisco, Sacramento, and Los Angeles
Health advocates are planning lunchtime pickets of Macy’s for the Monday before Christmas, to protest the department store’s support of the effort to repeal the law to ensure health coverage to millions of California workers.
In just the last month, Macy’s West has contributed $200,000 to the campaign to repeal SB 2 (Burton), which requires large employers to provide health coverage to their workers and their families. While the vast majority of large employers do provide such benefits, the few that don’t are bankrolling an effort to place a referendum on the bill on the ballot. Other contributors to the campaign so far include McDonald’s and other fast-food restaurants, and can be found at the web site of the Secretary of State, at:
The pickets are on MONDAY, DECEMBER 22nd, 2003 at 12 NOON, for the lunctime hour at the following locations:
* SAN FRANCISCO: Macy’s at Union Square, Union Square Entrance. For more information of to RSVP, contact Jessica Rothhaar, email@example.com, 510-873-8787.
* SACRAMENTO: Macy’s at Downtown Mall, L Street Entrance (between 6th and 7th streets). For more information or to RSVP, contact Anthony Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org, 916-442-2308.
* LOS ANGELES: Macy’s in Downtown LA, 7th Street Entrance. For more information or to RSVP, contact Idabelle Fosse, email@example.com, 213-748-5287.
ATTACHED is a flyer to help recruit people and organizations to come in support of our health care. Health advocates will simply distribute informational leaflets about Macy’s anti-health care actions, with signs, chants, and festive carols. We will invite media outlets to ask Macy’s why they are spending money to help reduce the health coverage of their customers.
Anthony E. Wright
1127 11th St., #234, Sacramento, CA 95814
Ph: 916-442-2308, Fx: 916-497-0921