HEALTH ACCESS ALERT
Monday, March 31, 2003
THE “HEALTH CARE FOR ALL CALIFORNIANS ACT” SB 921 (Kuehl)
The Health Care for All Californians Act, SB 921 (Kuehl), would provide
health coverage to all Californians through a single insurance plan offered
by the State of California and would control the growth of health care
spending through a simplified administrative structure, consolidated
financing and purchasing and statewide health planning.
A broad range of organizations, including Health Access California, strongly
supports this concept and this legislation, as the best means to acheive our
overarching goal of quality, affordable health care for all. This bill would
provide health access for the over six million uninsured Californians, who
now are more like to die preamturely, and more likely to face financial
ruin. The bill would also seek to comprehensively control health costs,
which threaten health access for the presently insured.
The Senate Insurance Committee will hear SB 921 on Wednesday, April 30. The
hearing will be at 1:30pm, in Room 112 at the State Capitol, Sacramento. The
Committee will also hear SB 2 (Burton), to expand employer-based coverage,
which is also supported by Health Access California, and for which more
information will be forthcoming. This is an exciting time for advocate of
* A fact sheet on SB 921, from Kuehl’s office
* Q&A on “What is single-payer?”, from Kuehl’s office
* Current list of supporters for SB 921
* Sample support letter
Here are actions your organization can take:
1. Send an endorsement of SB 921 on your organization¹s letterhead
stationery. A sample letter is attached.
Fax your letter of support to: 916-324-4823
Or mail your letter of support to:
Senator Sheila Kuehl
State Capitol, Room 4032
Sacramento, CA 95814
2. Have your organization, and its members, communicate their support to
members of the Senate Insurance Committee. Below is information, including
district cities and phone numbers, for members of the Senate Insurance
* Sen. Jackie Speier [D], Chair (San Francisco/415-557-7857 and San
Mateo/650-340-8840); State Capitol Room 2032, 916-445-0503.
* Sen. Ross Johnson [R], Vice-Chair (Irvine/949-833-0180); State Capitol
Room 3063, 916-445-4961.
* Sen. Martha Escutia [D], (Norwalk/562-929-6060); State Capitol Room 5080,
* Sen. Liz Figueroa [D], (Fremont/510-413-5960); State Capitol Room 4061,
* Sen. Bill Morrow [R], (Carlsbad/760-434-7930 and San Juan
Capistrano/949-489-9838); State Capitol Room 4048, 916-445-3731.
* Sen. Rico Oller [R], (Roseville/916-969-8232); State Capitol Room 5064,
* Sen. Don Perata [D], (Oakland/510-286-1333); State Capitol Room 4061,
916-445-6577. (Co-author of SB 921)
* Sen. Jack Scott [D], (Pasadena/626-683-0282); State Capitol Room 2057,
* Sen. Nell Soto [D], (Ontario/909-984-7741, and Pomona/909-469-9935, and
San Bernadino/909-381-3832); State Capitol Room 4074, 916-445-6868
3. Join regional efforts in support of the universal health care. Numerous
regional committees have started to meet; Those meetings are listed on the
Health Advocates Calendar. A new one will be distributed later this week.
“We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and
prosperity for our community…Our ambitions must be broad enough to include
the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.” –
Anthony E. Wright
1127 11th St., #234, Sacramento, CA 95814
Ph: 916-442-2308, Fx: 916-497-0921