HEALTH ACCESS UPDATE
Thursday, March 13th, 2003
* MID-YEAR BUDGET CUTS: Pending passage from the legislature, Governor Davis is soon expected to sign a package of mid-year reduction cuts in education, social services, and other areas. The package includes cuts to health care outreach, including the training of those who assist Medi-Cal applicants with getting coverage.
This mid-year package does not include many of the proposed mid-year cuts to Medi-Cal, that would impact eligibility, benefits, and reimbursement rates. The package does not include vehicle license fee restoration, which is expected to be “triggered” administratively later in the year. More to come.
* UPCOMING EVENTS IN SACRAMENTO NEXT WEEK: As always, committee hearings are subject to change…
* Mon. March 17th: BUDGET HEARING: Assembly Budget Subcommittee #1 on Health and Human Services, chaired by Assemblywoman Judy Chu, with Assembly Health Committee, chaired by Assemblyman Dario Frommer. The committees will hear testimony on a range of proposed Medi-Cal cuts. This includes the cuts that would deny basic health coverage to over a million Californians, through eligibility and retention restrictions. 6:00pm. State Capitol, Sacramento.
* Tue. March 18th: RALLY: “Taking on the Health Care Crisis,” sponsored by the California Labor Federation, with Senate President John Burton. 12 Noon. Outside the State Capitol, Sacramento. ATTACHED is a flyer.
* Tue. March 18th: POLICY HEARING: Assembly Health Committee, chaired by Assemblyman Dario Frommer, will consider various health bills. These include: AB232 (Chan) to provide consumer protections for self-pay hospital patients; AB103 (Reyes) to disclose drug company marketing expenses and gifts to health providers; and other legislation. 1:30pm. State Capitol, Sacramento.
Anthony E. Wright
1127 11th St., #234, Sacramento, CA 95814
Ph: 916-442-2308, Fx: 916-497-0921