HEALTH ACCESS UPDATE
Friday, February 21, 2003
* ATTACHED is an updated calendar of events of interest to advocates of the uninsured. Below highlights a few events in the next week of particular note.
* KEY BUDGET HEARINGS: Next week, the legislature will conduct key budget hearings at the Capitol in Sacramento on the proposed cuts to Medi-Cal and other health care programs.
* On MONDAY, February 24th, the Assembly Budget Subcommittee on Health and Human Services, chaired by Assemblywoman Chu, will have a 4:00pm hearing on the full range of proposed Medi-Cal cuts.
* On WEDNESDAY, February 26th, the Senate Budget Subcommittee on Health, Human Services, Labor and Veterans Affairs, chaired by Senator Chesbro, and the Senate Health Committee, chaired by Senator Ortiz, will have a 1:30pm informational hearing, with testimony from both state and federal witnesses.
* UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE TO BE UNVEILED: Also on Monday, February 24th, Senator Sheila Kuehl will announce her “Health Care for All Californians Act” at 11:00am in the Governor’s Press Room at the Capitol in Sacramento. Health Access California supports the bill–which would establish a statewide “single-payer” universal health care system–as well as some of the other comprehensive reform approaches that will considered this year. Organizing meetings to support this important bill have been scheduled in various regions around the state.
* ATTACHED is the slightly-updated health care budget cuts scorecard. An excellent, comprehensive analysis of the cuts to health and human services–and their impacts–is available from the Senate Budget Committee, at: http://www.sen.ca.gov/ftp/SEN/COMMITTEE/STANDING/BFR/_home/SUBCOMMITTEES/03sub3over.pdf