Quality, Affordable Health Care for All Californians.
Health Access has an impressive track record protecting consumers, preserving access to care, and maximizing reform of our health care system. Among our victories over recent years, Health Access California has…
- Led California efforts to win comprehensive health reform, ensuring all Democratic members of Congress voted for the new federal health law; and working with the California Legislature to pass the first-in-the-nation bills to implement and improve the law, and to go beyond the ACA to protect consumers in key ways;
- Ensured access to coverage for children, including those with pre-existing conditions;
- Expanded affordable coverage to hundreds of thousands of California residents through county-based initiatives from Healthy San Francisco to My Health LA, and the Low-Income Health Programs as the platform for the nation’s largest early expansion of Medicaid under the ACA;
- Helped prevent budget cuts proposed by various Governors that would have denied more than one million people health care coverage, and caused millions more to suffer increased costs;
- Worked to expand and streamline Medi-Cal and Healthy Families for children and parents and more recently for childless adults;
- Passed over two dozen managed care consumer protections, creating the Department of Managed Health Care, and allowing patients to get an independent review of any HMO denial of care or coverage;
- Secured additional protections regarding timely access and language access;
- Prevented hospitals from overcharging the uninsured and underinsured by passing a first-in-the-nation law so the uninsured are not price-gouged by hospitals, having to pay 3-4 times what insurers pay for the same treatment; and placing limits on what ER doctors charge the uninsured as well;
- Won passage of a prescription drug discount program, one that would use the power of the government to negotiate the best possible price for those without adequate drug coverage;
- Advanced the vision and movement for universal health care by leading and supporting campaigns and coalitions to win comprehensive health reform and coverage expansions - each effort bringing the statewide and national conversation closer to that important goal, and advancing additional proposals to cover the remaining uninsured. This includes our work for single-payer proposals, universal children's coverage, expansions of employer-based coverage, Healthy San Francisco, the Affordable Care Act, and the current #Health4All legislation to extend coverage to all regardless of immigration status.
- 2015 Year in Review -Health Access California (November 2015).
- Charlie Eaton and Margaret Weir (2014). "The Power of Coalitions: Advancing the Public in California's Public-Private Welfare State. Politics and Society." Politics and Society - uses Health Access California as a case study for effective advocacy and argues it was this coalition that changed California from "laggard to leader" in health reform and policy.
- See 'Fulfilling the Promise' 25 Year Anniversary Celebration of Health Access: click here.